Arnhem Land Woomera 1
Australian woomera, from Arhnem Land.
Wood, 34" x 1 3/4" x 5/8"
Dowel, 5/16" x 2"
Resin/Rock Hard Water Putty
This is can be trouble, so I've broken it down with illustrations.
- Starting 16" from the handle end, taper the sides to 1" wide on the peg end.
- Starting at the same place, taper the top and bottom to 3/8" thick at the peg end.
- Round off the bottom of the grip, leaving about 5/8" in the middle.
- From 4 1/2" to 7" from the base of the handle, cut out the grips. Leave 1" between the sides.
- Round the top and sides to give it an elliptical shape.
- Sand it smooth.
- Taper/point one end of the dowel.
- Using resin (or the easier-to-find water putty), put a mass on the last 1" of the peg end and insert the peg. It should be at about a 15 degree angle. Let harden.
Atlatl Designs |