Aztec Atlatl 1
Based on an ancient Aztec atlatl.
Wood, 24" x 1 1/2" x 1/2"
Dowel, 1/4" x 2 1/2"
- Cut a 1/4" x 1/4" square groove down the center of the board.
- Shape the atlatl -- 14" from the peg end, it should be 1 1/4" wide, tapering to 7/8" at the handle end. (The 14" was originally covered by carvings.)
- Round the bottom of the atlatl per the cross-section picture.
- Slope the sides of the groove per the cross section picture, starting 2" from the peg end.
- Round the edges of the atlatl and round off the peg end.
- Sand and smooth the board.
- Taper/round one end of the dowel and glue it in place. It will lie completely in the groove.
The article about this atlatl can be found at http://www.msu.edu/~oberg/articles/double/twoancient.html.
Atlatl Designs |