Aztec Double Atlatl
Based on an ancient Aztec atlatl, most likely ceremonial (although I would like to try throwing with it).
Wood, 23" x 1 3/8" x 3/4"
(2) Dowels, 1/4" x 2"
- Cut 1/4" x 1/4" square grooves down the board, leaving 1/8" in the center for a spacer.
- Shape the atlatl. It's a steady taper.
- Round the bottom of the atlatl per the cross-section picture.
- Round the edges of the atlatl and round off the peg end.
- Sand and smooth the board.
- Taper/round one end of the dowels and glue them in place. They will lie completely in the groove.
Articles about this atlatl can be found at http://www.msu.edu/~oberg/articles/double/twoancient.html and http://www.msu.edu/~oberg/articles/double/aztec.html.
Atlatl Designs |