Kevin Ashley's Style
by Kevin Ashley, posted with his permission.
Dowel, 5/8" x 25 1/2"
Dowel, 1/4" x 1"
Soft leather, 1" x 10"
Leather thong, 15" long
- 3/4" from one end, drill a 1/4" hole at a 30 degree angle. Be careful not to go through.
- 1/2" from the other end, drill a 1/8" hole through the handle, 90 degrees from the peg hole.
- From 3 1/2" to 5" from the handle end, narrow the sides for the grip. Don't go more than 1/8" deep.
- Round off all the edges and sand smooth.
- Just above the narrowed sides, glue the last 1" of the ends of the leather piece so they wrap around the shaft. Make sure the loop is on the back on the atlatl (away from the peg).
- Wrap the leather with artificial sinew to keep it in place.
- Put the thong through the hole and knot it. This is a wrist loop.
- Round/taper one end of the dowel. Put some glue in the hole, then put the flat end of the dowel in. Push it in firmly and let dry.
The original also has a leather grip on the handle and leather just ahead of the wrapping.
Kevin also sells finished darts and raw rivercane. Contact him for details.
Atlatl Designs |