Kris Tuomala's Basketmaker Atlatl
by Kris Tuomala. Posted with his permission.
Wood, 24" x 7/8" x 3/8"
Leather, 1" x 7"
- Round off both ends.
- Carve out the peg and groove. Go down about 1/8" deep. Be sure to undercut the peg so it will grip the dart.
- Cut out the finger grips. Leave 5/8" between them.
- Round off all edges and sand.
- 7" from the peg end, you need to make a slight bend in the wood. Hold that area over steam until the wood is pliable, then bend it over a hard surface and let it set.
- Cut a 1" slit in the middle of the leather.
- Slide the slit over the handle to just below the finger grips. Glue it in place.
- Put the last 1" of the ends above the finger grips. Wrap them around the shaft, glue them down, and wrap them down with sinew.
Atlatl Designs |