Papua New Guinea Spia - 1 Piece
Papua New Guinea Spearthrower, made from 1 piece of wood. This is based on actual measurements.
Wood, 30 1/2" x 3" x 3/4"
- Cut out the handle end as shown.
- Cut out the peg end as shown.
- Carefully thin the board. 8" from the handle end, it should still be 3/4" wide; in the next 2", it should taper down to 1/2"; and then down to 3/8" thick in the middle. 7" from the peg end, it should still be 3/4"; in the next 2" it should taper down to 1/2"; then down to 3/8" thick in the middle.
- Carefully thin the dart guide. It should be about 1/16" thick at the top.
- Carve out the groove. Starting 3/4" from the peg end, go down 1/4", out to the edges of the board. Continue it to the start of the dart guide.
- Make the handle round.
- Round off the bottom.
- Round off the peg end and the handle end.
- Round off all edges and sand smooth.
There are two different ways to throw with a Papua New Guinea style. I've described the methods here.
Atlatl Designs |