Queensland Woomera 3
Australian woomera, possibly from Queensland. I'm assuming that based on the peg style.
Dowel, 1" x 23" (shaft)
Dowel, 3/8" x 1 1/2" (peg)
Resin/Rock Hard Water Putty
- Starting 5" from one end of the shaft, taper it down to 3/4" at the end. This is the handle. Starting 1 1/2" from the other end, taper it down to 3/4". This is the peg end.
- On the peg end, cut a "V" shaped notch 3/8" wide by 1/4" deep from top to bottom. At 90 degrees to it (side to side), cut a 1/8" high by 1/4" deep notch.
- Round off the top and bottom of the peg dowel.
- 1/2" from the bottom, cut a notch in the peg to match the board, 1/8" high by 1/8" deep.
- 3/8" from the top of the dowel, cut a notch and round it off. This is the peg for the dart.
- Cut a piece of wood 3/8" x 3/8", 1/8" thick. This goes between the board and the peg.
- Glue and assemble the peg.
- Wrap it with artificial sinew.
- Put resin/putty over the wrappings. Go 1 1/2" up the board.
- Put resin/putty on the handle end going up 5".
- Make a small resin/putty ball and put it on the end of the handle.
Atlatl Designs |