Jim Regan's Design
by Jim Regan, used with his widow's permission.
Wood, 22" x 1 1/2" x 3/4"
Leather thong, 18" long
- At the handle end, cut it down to 1" high, slanting to 3/4" high 4" in.
- At the peg end, cut it down to 1 1/4" high, go in 1 1/4", then cut it down to 3/4" high and continue it that high for 14 1/4" (until you're 2 1/2" from the handle end cut).
- Round off the dart rest.
- Carve out the peg. Just taper the peg block to a point, undercutting it a little so the dart can rest comfortably.
- With a 1/8" drill, make a hole about 1/2" inch from the handle end.
- Round off all the edges and sand smooth.
- Carefully carve a groove down the middle of the dart rest, extending almost to the sides and about 1/4" deep in the middle.
- Put the thong through the hole and tie it loosely. This is your wrist strap, so you don't want it too tight.
This is a surprisingly easy atlatl to use. Having the grip on the end instead of the inside takes some getting used to, but it's a very pleasant design to use and hold. You could also make one without the dart rest and it wouold be an effective design.
Atlatl Designs |