From a picture found on the web. Called a "Turtle" atlatl because of the decorations.
Wood, 20" x 3 1/4" x 3/8"
Dowel, 3/8" x 1 1/2"
- Cut out the main shaft. 5 1/2" from the handle end, cut down 1 1/8" from either side, leaving 1" between them. Taper it to 3/4" wide at the peg end.
- Cut out the grip. 2 1/4" from the handle end, cut in 1 1/8" from either side, leaving 1" between them, and widen it to 1 3/4" at the end.
- Round off the grip around where the finger holes will go.
- Round off the ends.
- Drill the finger holes. 3/4" works for smaller fingers, while 1" is needed for larger fingers. Leave as much room between them as possible without going too close to the outside edge.
- Round off all edges and sand smooth.
- Round/taper one end of the dowel and gut the other at a 60 degree angle. Glue it down and wrap it tightly with sinew.
The original has a carved block in the shape of a turtle for the peg end, as well as a turtle design on the grip.
Atlatl Designs |