University of Missouri Atlatl
I bought this on ebay, and all they could tell me about it is that it's a reproduction made at the University of Missouri.
Wood, 23 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 3/4"
Dowel, 3/8" x 1 1/2"
(2) Leather straps, 1" x 5"
- Starting 4" from the peg end and 5" from the handle end, thin it to 1" wide in the middle.
- Starting in the same place, thin it to 5/8" high from the bottom.
- 3 1/2" from the handle end, cut out the finger grips. Leave 1" between them.
- Round off both ends.
- 1" from the peg end, drill a 3/8" hole at a 40 degree angle.
- Cut out the groove. Starting 1 1/2" from the peg end, cut it for 2", 3/8" wide, about 1/8" deep.
- Round off all edges and sand.
- Round/taper one end of the dowel. Put glue in the hole and insert the flat end. Push it in firmly.
- Glue 1" of the straps above and below the finger grips. Wrap tightly with sinew.
The original has an antler peg, sinew-wrapped leather handles, leather "sleeves" above and below the grips, a wrist strap, and decorative sinew wrapping. It also had smaller fingergrips which were too hard to use, so I've widened them for this version.
Atlatl Designs |