This spearthrower was listed on ebay, and the person selling it had no idea as to where it came from. From the wood used and the general shape, I *assume* it's an Australian woomera of some kind, but have no way to prove it. In addition, the pictures weren't very clear, so the dimensions are guesswork. If you know anything about this kind, please send me a message about it!
Hardwood, 17" x 1 3/4" x 3/8"
- Round off the handle end.
- About 4 3/8" from the handle end, cut out a small finger notch. This should be about 1" long.
- Starting about 9 3/4" from the peg end, start tapering the top of the atlatl down until it's 7/8" high about 3 1/2" from the peg end.
- Shape the peg end. Round off the end, and then undercut the top to form the peg. Go in to 2 5/8" from the end.
- Round off all the edges and sand smooth.
I haven't had a chance to try this style yet, and I'm not sure how it would work when finished. If anybody makes one before I do, could you let me know the results?
Atlatl Designs |