Australian woomera from the Central Desert region, Pitjantjatjara tribe. With a chisel end.
Wood, 29" x 3 3/4" x 5/8"
Dowel, 1/2" x 1 1/2"
Resin/Rock Hard Water Putty
Piece of flint or shell, 2" long by 1/4" wide
- Cut out the peg end. Starting 5 1/2" from the end, round/taper it down to the peg "tab". The tab is 3/4" wide by 1" long.
- Cut out the handle end. Starting 16" from the end, round/taper it down. It should be 1" wide 4" from the end, then flaring back out to 2" wide at the end.
- Carve out the "belly". Starting 6" from the handle end, go down about 1/4" in the center.
- Round the back to match the belly.
- Round off all edges and sand smooth.
- Taper one end of the peg to a point and cut the other end at a 60 degree angle. Glue it onto the peg tab, wrap it with sinew, and cover it with resin/putty.
- Put resin/putty on the handle end. Build it up about 1/4" all the way around. Push in the flint/shell and let it set.
Atlatl Designs |