Modified University of Missouri Atlatl
This is based on the University of Missouri atlatl. I wasn't too pleased with the original, so I made some modifications to it.
Wood, 20" x 1 1/0" x 3/4"
Dowel, 3/8" x 1 1/2"
Leather strap, 1" x 9"
- Starting 2 1/2" from the peg end and 5" from the handle end, thin it to 3/4" wide in the middle.
- Starting in the same place, thin it to 1/2" high from the bottom.
- Starting 5" from the handle end, cut in and narrow the handle to 3/4" wide.
- Round off both ends.
- 1" from the peg end, drill a 3/8" hole at a 30 degree angle.
- Round off all edges and sand.
- Round/taper one end of the dowel. Put glue in the hole and insert the flat end. Push it in firmly.
- Glue 1" of the straps above the handle on both sides and glue it down. The loop should be on the back of the atlatl (away from the peg). Wrap tightly with sinew.
Atlatl Designs |